Skip to main content

Hello, I am currently using a rented FEC 500 for my restaurant. It is outside but winter is coming. The problem is I can't fit it inside and the city won't allow me to do a faced through the wall install. We are making Pulled pork, brisket and ribs, and have great reviews. I can fit a SM inside but am concerned that the look/quality/taste of the product may not be as good or may be significantly different than what I am getting with the FEC. Does anybody have any knowledge on how close I can get BBQ out of a SM to match that of a FEC? If you are currently using a SM in a restaurant and have received local awards recognition from newspapers etc I would love to here from you. The FEC 200 will fit but is to small for my volume.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You might reach out to Stuart at CS and talk to him, he works with a lot of restaurants with your very question.

I've not cooked on the 300 series, but have on the 100 and 200 series electrics.

There IS a different, although you can adjust with a little practice.

Main differences.

The FE's are 100% wood so they produce more smoke (but lighter) than the 300 series BUT you can actually oversmoke with the 300 if you add more wood throughout the cook.

The electrics have a more moist environment than the FE so you tend to get a different color on the meat IF you don't dump some of the humidity.

I would suggest a call to Stuart for sure.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.