Skip to main content

I bought my first 55 last year, an older black model in really good condition. Mfg date 8-11-99. It was purchased new by a local fisherman, kept inside and only used to smoke the salmon he caught for his own use. It's barely used and works perfectly.
A few months ago, I bought another 55, this time a stainless steel model, Mfg date 2-5-08. Newer but it was used commercially in a restaurant that was operated daily for about three years. It looks like it may have been overheated at one point since the stainless on one side has a bit of that blueish look to it. Overall it still seems in good shape though, and was professionally cleaned before I bought it. The heating element looks pretty used but I know that can be replaced.

The main difference I can see between the two, besides the obvious outside metal finish, is the temp probe. On the older model, it extends straight into the smoker box about 4" just under one of the racks, while the newer model has a temp probe that is attached to the rear wall of the smoker. Also, the older unit seems heavier and better built than the newer model.

Here's the thing, I'm only going to keep one of these smokers and can't decide which one to hang on to.
I'd like to hear from some SMO55 veterans, especially those that may have used both the older/newer models.

Question is, Which one would you keep, and Why?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the reply David,

After having the two for some months now, I'm finding that I don't smoke enough to warrant keeping both. There may be times when I could use two but that would be rare, so I'm thinking of selling one and getting a pellet grill to replace my old propane burner. Space is the issue that has me thinking of selling one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.