Skip to main content

I am a long time stick burner using a Lang and a Klose. I love the product from both of these units but there are times when staying up all night is not a good option.
I am looking at the SM160 and the FEC100. I just don't know which one will give me results closest to my stick burners. I am leaning towards the FEC. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Thank you..
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've used them both. If you're planning to cook competitions and prefer the heavier smoke profile a stick burner provides, I'd recommend the 160.

The FEC100 is sanctioned for comps and will provide higher temps, should that be something you require. It's a great cooker but push come to shove, the 160 lays down more smoke flavor.
Thank you MaxQ for the info. I do mostly catering so higher temps may be beneficial at times. The only pellet burner that I have ever used was a traeger grill, which although it did a great job it didn't seem to give the smoke flavor I was looking for. My main concern with the electric is it uses a slow, low airflow smoldering type of cook, which is just the opposite of stick burning. I suppose that just takes getting used to. I have heard that it is fairly easy to over-smoke with an electric.
I've owned a Traeger as well. For one, the Traeger draws a lot of air from its surroundings, which dilutes smoke. Secondly, Traeger pellets (if you were using them) are widely regarded as inferior. Were I to compare several racks of ribs smoked in the FEC vs Traeger, the FEC ribs would be smokier in flavor. There are several methods which can be employed to create a smokier FEC environment. One involves 2 stage smoking; several hours using a set temp of 190, followed by a finish temp of whatever you choose. This can be programmed by way of the IQ board. Another method involves a separate pellet tube such as the AMAZE device. Fill it with pellets, light one or both ends, and it creates additional smoke.

Any electric CS smoker can over smoke by virtue of too much wood. Trial & error will get you the results you're looking for. A load of butts or briskets will take on sufficient flavor with 4-6 oz of wood.

Hope that helps. Either way, both smokers are top notch quality backed with the best customer support in the industry.
quote:
Originally posted by TimmyB:
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Thank you..

Couple of recent posts, see if these help:

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1035064/m/2442915337

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1035064/m/2882940727

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1035064/m/9462977527

There's more. Just check out the titles in this Sub-Forum. here is where I place them.

Key is that the electric is low air flow/moist environment where the wood is for flavor only.

Pellets are the wood source.

for years the issue about pellets is smoke flavor. It really depends on your taste buds. Some love pellets, so say they don't get enough smoke and some say they have to dry/too much smoke.
Thank you everyone for the great information. I had pretty much decided on the FEC, but now I am leaning back towards the SM160. I went out and purchased a 40" Masterbuilt just so I could experiment with an electric smoker without spending very much. It is a different style for sure, but it appears to produce a good product. I think I will play around with it a few more weekends before I make a decision on which CS to buy. Thanks again...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.