Skip to main content

Hey everyone, I've been lurking/ reading for almost a week now and my girlfriend is telling me to hurry up and order a smoker cause I'm not getting any work done around the house.
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the 025 and the 045. If what everyone says is true I'm going to gain tonnes of friends and find myself smoking for more and more people. We are expecting a baby girl April 25th and I imaging it will be easier to have people over.
So, my questions; Will the 45 hold two stand up rib racks? I figure if I FTC a pork butt (sorry Oakie) I can then do ribs or ribs and chicken.
How creative would I have to get with the 025 if I wanted to host 20-30? Would I need to get more shelves for the 45 to fit in both rib racks?
Some of you may say... get the Amerique. No can do. Hey, we're expecting a baby here and I just can't justify the expense. Worth it though it may be.
I have no doubt that the 025 will be sufficient 95% of the time for now. It's when we want to host for 20 or 30 that concerns me.

Overkill?

Looking for advice, she want's me back to work.

I do have her sold on the idea of homemade Montreal style smoked meat sammies though. That's a big plus.

Thanks in advance.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First off, welcome to the forum! The main difference between the smokers is the number of shelves. The 025 has two, the 045 has three and the 066 has four(and a larger heating element).

I have an 020, the non-stainless version of the 025. If you're going to be hosting 20-30, you will have to get a little creative with your timing. Not that it can't be done mind you. If you can afford the extra cash, by all means get the bigger one.

To give you some examples of a couple of my larger cookouts. At one I've done 2 butts, 2 pans of beans and seven racks of ribs. Another was a packer brisket, 3 tri-tips and two pans of beans.

You have to figure out how to time things. Pork butts, start the night before. Throw the ribs into a rib rack and into the smoker about 4 1/2 hours before serving. When the butts are done, FTC them. They'll stay hot for at least 4 hours. Throw the beans in where the butts were.

With an 045, you'd have an extra shelf and wouldn't have to worry about when to take things out and start new items.

With an 025 it can be done, you just have to get a little creative at times. Like I said, buy the biggest you can afford, you can probably get by with the smaller one, but you'll wish you had a bigger one. I've started searching Craigslist for an FEC. Smiler
Thanks Andy, that's very helpful. Tonnes of great info on this forum. No doubt I'll be checking the 101's for cooking advice and recipe's.

Does the 025 or 045 fit two of the rib rack shelves? Or is that just the AQ?

Sounds like a may wanna go bigger. She's gonna hate me but love me later. Kinda like when we first met.

Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by sendthis:

Sounds like a may wanna go bigger. She's gonna hate me but love me later. Kinda like when we first met.

Thanks.

Seems to me that it is always easier to ask for forgiveness then permission! Wink

I almost got the 045 but went with the AQ, So glad I did! Definitely nice to have the extra space, its easy to fill up fast with bigger cooks...
quote:
Does the 025 or 045 fit two of the rib rack shelves? Or is that just the AQ?

If you do spares, it might be a tight fit in the 025, you should be fine with the 045. There's 4 inches of room between the top and bottom rack, the top rack you have 5+ inches of room. You should be OK with baby backs/loin backs though. Actually, you can get almost 5 inches of room if you place the top rack on top of the top rail, so you should be OK. But you'll probably need to rotate the racks since the bottom one will be pretty close to the firebox.

My only concern is a couple of times, I've had a problem with the cooker coming up to temp with a very, very full load. But other times it's not been a problem at all. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.
I've had an 025 for almost five years now. I love the smoker but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the 045 because there are times I'd really like to have that extra shelf.

It's not like you will ever need to buy another smoker so get what you really want the first time...within your (reasonable) budget.

I also surf Craigslist looking for a bargain FEC100 (dreamer that I am) although it would be overkill for my needs.

SmokinMAINEiac
I have the 045 and love it. Biggest cook I have done so far is two packer briskets with two pork butts. Just have to watch the level of fat rendering out into the drain pan. I thought to check on mine after about 8 hrs of cooking and it was about ready to overflow. That would not have been a pretty sight.

My vote is go with the 045.
Man you guys are great. Thank-you so much for the advice. I think I'll do it right the first time and get the 045. I'm not ultra concerned about the hold feature on the AQ so, I'll go for bigger yet maybe still somewhat portable. These things are heavy and since they last forever I can't see packing one of these in a pickup or minivan will be fun as I get older.

So, I'm thinking SS racks, a rib rack for now, source out some frog mats and some thermometers. One insta-read and a wireless. That should get me started. As for rubs and wood, I'll try what the sampler offers and see how it goes. Using the 101's I hope to make my own rubs and sauces eventually but we'll see. As for shipping wood, I kind of view that like buying river stone that has been shipped from China.... really, we don't have any river stone in N. America? Come on.

Thanks again everyone, this is gonna be great.

Jim.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the arrival of your new baby girl, oh and congrats on the baby too. Big Grin

I have the SM-025. Was my first cookshack smoker. You can get a rib rack on one shelf and 3 St. Louis spares on another rack laying flat. Just make sure there is space for air flow. I have done 7 racks of spares this way. You might have to do some trimming though. If your serving Pork Butt in addition to the ribs and sides I would estimate 2 bones per person. That's been my experience.

You can get 4 nice size PB's in there at one time. FTC and I have had them so hot to touch after 6 hours.

Don't forget to try a meatloaf! Keep us informed how it all goes.
Awesome, you all have me convinced. The 45 it is. Should place the order soon, just trying to figure from where? Would love to order direct from Cookshack, as I believe in supporting the awesome service I've heard about. It's the current Canadian exchange rate that is giving me pause, should have done this a year ago.

One last question for the time being... Will the 45 hold full rib racks that are hanging? I imagine bacon will be fine.

You guys are great. Looking forward to many great cooks with notes and sharing our progress here at the house.
Last edited by Former Member
You should be able hang ribs but why? You'll have plenty of capacity with the 045 using the 3 shelves and so much more with rib racks.

My only concern is uneven cooking as the heat source is on the bottom. Don't get me wrong, the Elite maintains a steady temp but shelves or racks are the way to go.

If you did want to hang them, I'd do so with the brisket (thicker) end of the rib on the bottom.

Enjoy your new toy. Bet your excited Big Grin
Lol, yeah, I guess why is a good question. With all these thoughts going through my head of racks of ribs and loops of sausage links hanging or sitting on racks I'm just getting lost.

I'm not gonna worry about it, I'll be fine as soon as I bite into my first effort.

Thanks for all your help. And patience.

And yeah, I'm very excited.
Okay, updates.

Ordered the 45 from Cookshack directly last week. Was shipped on friday and should arrive sometime this week.
Got a call from Fedex yesterday explaining something about handing it off to a contracted shipper to bring it the final distance into Canada and that they will handle the duty fees and bill me. Booo. I always have a problem with brokerage fees. UPS is a frequent offender. Other than expediting the process I really kinda think it's just a money grab. Anytime I order something from the states I try and use USPS, it goes through Customs just fine and I end up paying the minimal fee.

At any rate... Very excited about getting the smoker. I can almost taste the pulled pork now.

More updates to come when it gets here.

Thanks.
USPS would not accept a parcel that big, by BIG I mean they have length, width and height limits. I know because I am a guitar collector and have had shipped and have shipped guitars in their cases. No postal delivery person could handle the bundle of joy you will receive. I have buddies up in Canada looking to get a Cookshack and the whole VAT (what I call it) is just Canada's thing.
First time you do a run with your smoker you'll forget the money spent. I got a SM150 used and it was close enough to go pickup with my neighbors help/truck. I was upgrading from a really old SM008 (now the SM009) to an SM150, the extra shelves (5) and the width of the shelves REALLY makes it easy to do huge loads, though I don't really ever max her out. These smokers are true tanks built to last forever. You'll be so popular you won't know what to do. I kid you not. Your neighbors, local dogs, anyone you have over, will bow down to what you'll be able to accomplish in no time.
Thanks Big Mike,

Yeah, I'm well aware that a package this size would need a little special attention (read money). Just more of point of frustration around getting jacked for an extra $90 (that's a whack load of sausage baby) but really more about the delay. Back and forth with Fedex, filling out forms... "Are you a business?" No. "Do you have a GST number?" I'm not a business.

That kinda stuff.

I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. You're post reminded me that I forgot to order the rack slat upgrade so I could fit more in. Oh well. I'll do it when I order more spices.

Can't wait.... but I must.
When folks start looking and asking "how much can I load in this model" I like referring them to the little :Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center link at the bottom of this very page.

http://www.cookshack.com/store...erSmoker-Model-SM045

SEE IT ?? Click on it, then Residential, then Smokers. Click on the SM045 and it describes the number and size of shelves and the capacity it can handle. I always like staying a little UNDER what they state the max load could be... Heck you're set.

Speaking of shelves... I set on ALL STAINLESS. When I got my SM008 it had NO shelves, I only paid $200.00 for it so I did't care. I got all stainless, they were a breeze to clean. When I got my used SM150 it had nickel plated shelves and they were pretty worn, cleaning them was a hassle. On my birthday I sprung for 3 stainless shelves. WOW it was so nice going back to stainless, a breeze to clean... Just saying, you got your order in ask what it would cost to upgrade to stainless... And for crying out loud GET A COVER... They're pricey but ooohhhh whee they sure work protecting the unit. My smoker was outside during Hurricane Sandy (which pretty much went right thru here) and once we got power back I pulled the cover, let the unit air out in the sun and it fired right up !! Yup I LOVE COOKSHACK.
Mike,

Thanks for the link, that's a great start since some haven't checked the specifications specifically.

I'm not sure it answers the question since it only says capacity is 35 lbs.

It's more what 35 lbs is really like. Think about newbies. It's usually the details they need help with from us experienced people.

For people that haven't cooked on a CS, that # of pounds doesn't really translate.

Is that 12 racks of 3# ribs?
4 8lb Pork Butts
3 12 lb Briskets.
SmokinOkie,
Your comment got me looking at the SM160 to see what my older version, the SM150 could handle. Interesting that Cookshack took the time to explain how many pounds of brisket, ribs, chickens or pork butt that smoker could handle. Maybe Cookshack should do a similar breakdown for all their models.

Meanwhile someone here who does own and uses a SM045 could help sendthis based on their own experience.

Specific load ability listed for the SM160

Construction Double Walled Stainless Steel Interior and Exterior
Insulation Double Walled Construction surrounding 850° F Spin-Glass Insulation
Dimensions 20.5" W x 50" H x 26" D (52 x 127 x 63.5 cm)
Cooking Capacity Pork Butts: 120 lbs., Brisket: 100 lbs., Ribs: 50 lbs. or 20 chickens per load
Cooking Area 1,620 square inches
Cooking Surface Qty 5 - 18" x 18" (45.7 x 45.7 cm) nickel plated grills, 5" (12.7 cm) apart
Fuel Source Electricity
Fuel Usage 1.67 lbs. of wood required to smoke a full 100 lbs. load of briskets
Temperature Settings 100°-300° F
Controllers/Firepots IQ4 electronic time/temperature digital control system; includes pre-sets, alarm cycle, 16-character LCD display and a quick change module. The controller can be customized.
Electrical Requirements 1500 watt heating element, 15 amps, 120v single phase; 240v export models available
Power cord approximate length 50" (may vary by +/- 6")
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
Thank-you gentleman.

Just to give you the low down on my order....

SMO45 with SS rack option.
Two rib racks
The cover (no stand, will build something)
and the sampler rub package.

Totally forgot about the multi-side slat option while I was on the phone. Should have made a list. (though, really, it wasn't that much to remember. Lol)

Cookshack cannot ship wood into Canada but, that's not a problem. I'll source out something here while I shop for an extra temp probe and injection kit. Lowes Canada has a few options so I'll be looking into it. Online may differ from store options.

So. After all the back and forth with Fedex I'll be very lucky if my smoker arrives tomorrow. But when she does get here I'll season over night (cookshack advice) then do some pulled pork as my first cook. (everyone's advice)

After that I may try a rib roast or a leg of lamb as we have a couple of each in the freezer. Rib roasts bought on sale and we get a lamb from a local farm every year.

Overall, I'm very excited and trying very hard not to think about what it's costing me to get it into the country. (shipping, duties and taxes) Wow.

Will have more updates soon. Thank you all very much.

Should I start a new thread or just keep this one going?

Cheers
quote:
Should I start a new thread or just keep this one going?

Cheers

Always a good question. If it pertains to the Original topic/post then keep it going.

But if it switches to specific info on cooking your first time, types of meat, etc, then start a new thread.

I advise like this. Will users be able to find what you're talking about JUST by the Original Title. In this case "How much can I stuff in a 45"?

If you post a recipe about brisket, most users would never see it.

Seems MOST users surf the forum via title only. Hence that's why I created specific sub-forums.

Moderator Big Grin
Okay, good advice.

She should arrive at or around 6pm today. So, BBQ for the weekend. Yeah baby.

Off to buy the biggest baddest hunk of pork I can find just so I can get started on the rubbin'

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts but I think she still loves me. To that end I have to do more research on Pastrami or, as we call it here in Canada, good old Montreal Smoked Meat. I'll hook her with that for sure. Nice steaming smoked meat on rye.... oh man.
Okay, assembly went well. Picky notes on that later.

For the seasoning burn I plucked some very well seasoned maple (Norwegian Red, so, soft) off the wood pile and she burned very well. About two hours in the smoking had stopped enough that I decided to add some more. After carefully opening the door I tossed in a chunk of the Cookshack Hickory. It burned for a bit... then stopped.

Undaunted, I simply added more maple off the wood pile and she's smoking nicely as I write.

Some thoughts on assembly. Regarding attaching the control unit. I'm assuming the screw holes for it are marked with a template and then the self-tapping metal screws are simply screwed in. When I went to screw it down I found the match wasn't quite right so I just started all the screws with a turn say, then when they were all in I torqued it down. I feel this allowed things to even out on their own as opposed to forcing something to fit after one side was already tight. Too much? Too picky? Probably. It's just an observation. Everything went really well. Very easy. Plugged in and temperature rising in say 20 mins. If that.

Not that heavy relative to the size of the box. Picked it up in a bear hug and set it on it's back on the deck easy enough. Guess I'm stronger than I look.

So, yeah. All in all an extremely well built product. Commercial quality for the home user all the way.

Off to check on the smoke and get started prepping the pork shoulder for tomorrow.

It's an awesome feeling to see her sitting there just smokin' away.

Back soon. And thanks.

Jim
As Smokin would say It's Done When It's Done...

I got an almost 4 pounder with a mexican rub (taco seasoning, my own rub, some paprika for heat and brown sugar) on the 2nd from the top shelf with a pan of homemade pinto beans on the bottom shelf (the beans have cut up fat breakfast sausage, red onion and red bell pepper all sautéed together) the remnants of the rub from the pork butt pan and a box of chicken stock. In another hour (at the 3 hour mark) I'll add some Coke to the beans if they're drying out. Gonna run my butt no matter what (LOL) until the internal temp is 195. Beans I will cook until tender and not real soupy.

Remember take notes. It's Done When It's Done...

You'll go crazy with the end result. Be prepared to be WOWed !!
Had my just under 4 pound butt in the 150 since 08:30, it's now 3:30 and last time I checked it was in the stall at 165, the beans on the bottom shelf are slowly coming together. The animals are fed, half the chickens are in and I made my pebre/corn relish. Medium flour tortillas, the beans, pebre and the pork, a little avocado for the wife and a dollop of sour cream for me. Yeah baby. Relaxing cuz It's Done When It's Done. If this was a party with guests I would have started an 8 pounder at 8pm last night at 225, run it on the "brisket/pork setting (225 for 12 hours) and when I was sipping my morning espresso checked the temp. Usually right near 12 hours an 8-10 pounder is right on the money at roughly 195. I like a lot of BARK from my pig. LOL
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
Wow, those pics looks really good. I'll get there with time and all your help I'm sure.

So, updates. Those first two picnic roasts took about 22 hours and actually turned out well. Just a little dry but not really an issue. I think the length of time for the cook was due to my showing my new smoker off to a few friends that came by to see the baby that day. I did have an excuse as I was opening to mop with Okie's vinegar mop, just maybe a little long and often in the first half of the smoke.

Since then, we've done two brined chickens (butterflied) some pork back ribs and two prime ribs. All turned out fabulous. The family is sold on the smoker without a doubt.

Last night I did the second chicken and just after we ate, I put in a proper nine pound pork butt. CS rib rub and 2 good chunks of hickory. It's all but done now and I'm just waiting to pull it. (Using Okie's apple juice sauce as a mop) This time, as an experiment, I injected it with apple juice. Looks great so far.

Just wanted to let everyone know how things are going and that I haven't forgotten you. As I refine things I'll probably start posting some pics but, right now, it seems redundant. I do have some ideas about crisping up chicken skin that I discovered while researching Peking Duck. Something about separating the skin from the meat with your fingers or the shaft of a wooden spoon to allow the fat to render out and the skin to crisp up easier. Works best if positioned standing up, a la beer can method.

Thanks all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.