Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

150's were black, 160's are all stainless. They only make the stainless now. No other differences that I'm aware of.

Call CS on Monday if you need specific details about the changes?

Let me guess, looking at an old 150? Key thing would be the heating elements, do they work? If it's old enough, they might not.
Also - just a couple of other questions related to this. The 150 vents from the top just like an 008?

Also - is the 150/160 model a beefed up, restaurant version of the Amerique - or is it larger than the Amerique? Any feature differences between those two models worth noting?

Best,
Steve P.
The 160/150 has 18x18 shelves. The Amerique has 14x18 shelves. The 160 is quite a bit bigger than the Amerique. I have both so I am very familiar with these units. I just did 100 lbs. of butts in the 160 last week. At the same time I cooked 40lbs. in the AQ. So your capacity is greatly increased. I must also add that using the bottom most rack on the 160 will overcook a packer brisket. I seldom use this rack because of this. I could rotate the racks, but very difficult when you have 5 15lb. packers cooking. I am very happy with both units. Sounds like you have a great buy.
Good Luck
Gary
Hey Padre,

Thanks. I was laying here thinking this morning that I could use those sturdy shelves to also slow smoke some baked beans (I have a hefty Descoware dutch oven, non reactive baked enamel coating) and also slow smoke my homemade sauce... Yeah. Maybe slow smoke some pasta sauce someday too now that I think about it.

But the sort of bitter sweet part of all this is I cleaned up my SM008 smoker and gave it to my neighbor Frank. The guy has done a TON of work on our property and his family have loved any of the stuff I send over from the smoker. He's got a son that's 24 and the kid eats my Q like a horse. So we cleaned it up, I made him a big batch of rub, showed him how to foil the bottom and wood box and gave him an assortment of wood. Today I'm dragging him to our local meat market and gonna grab a pork butt and a big can of beans. Show him how to do pulled pork and put the beans all jazzed up in a small aluminum roasting pan in the smoker too. It's gonna be 97 today here and won't he have fun - a pork butt is so dead easy and low maint he can work on his pool all day while dinner is slow cooking. YEAH !! My deck looks real strange without a smoker on it (for the next week).
Last edited by bigmikeinnj

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.