Skip to main content

Hello all new on here but have had my SM025 for about 3 years...I am about to make the plunge to purchase a pellet grill. I really can't decide which model to buy Pg500 or 1000. I am located in the South Carolina so the cold is not really a factor. I already have a Sm025 which I will probably still my long cooks in. I do like the idea of the insulated roll top in that it will heat up quickly. I am planning on this replacing my Weber kettle grill. Also can someone tell me what the food tastes like on a pellet grill, compared to cooking on charcoal. I am used to reverse searing chicken and steak with wood chips on charcoal.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have had a PG1000 since 2011. You will not regret your purchase and I hope like myself you will not experience any buyers remorse for any period of time. I'm in Texas so I also did not need the insulated top but I do like it better than I think I would have the PG500. Great for Pizza, biscuits, steaks (reverse sear or no) Ribs, Brisket, Turkey, Chicken, Salmon, you name it. I especially liked having the ability to have my grill ready in a short few minutes without any effort. As far as tastes go, you will not get a heavy smoke profile, but it is far better tasting than you get on charcoal. I don't know how heavy a smoke profile you get on your SM 025 but if you choose you can get a much heavier profile on it than you will on the PG. I believe you will love it as I do mine. I also use electrics, SM066 and some others too. Feel free to PM me you email if you wish some pictures and I will email them to you. Almost forgot to mention, you will get the same great support from Cookshack if you ever need it on this product as well. I recommend the 100% Hickory Pellets.
Smiler
I can only speak for the PG500, because that is what I have.

The smoke flavor will be less/different than the Weber kettle, that's what I have at the lake. It's more of a pure smoke flavor, meaning very light.

I also have a small electric CS, so the smoke flavor isn't as pronounced as it makes.

I can tell you this, the pellet grill puts out the best food of the three, in fact, it produces the best hamburger that I've ever had my teeth in. I just wish I had another for the lake place.
I have the PG500. I stopped using my SM025. I do everything the PG500 including cheese, almonds, fish, beef, pork, chicken.

Like cal said, pellet cooking is the best. I use 100% hickory and 100% cherry. 50/50. I live in Southern California and have no need for the PG1000. If I was to buy another one, I would get a PG500. Right now I have my eye on a FEC-100.

I am available by PM too if you have any questions.
I have both the PG500 and the PG1000. I have used the PG500 thru all kinds of weather conditions here in Boise Idaho, It may have used a few more pellets in the winter but nothing that made any Difference to me .... Pellets are a joy to use vs propane or charcoal .... though I do have those grills also.
What I recommend is to buy according to your budget, both PG's are awesome, If you can afford 1000 extra ... go with the PG1000.
The insulation will save you a few pellets and the grill will come to temp quicker, but the PG500 handles itself just fine in regards to temp. Both PG's Have the Built in Charbroiler, and I like the fact that the design of the grill keeps the fire to the side when you are going low and slow.
In regards to FLAVOR ..... Go Pellet all the Way!! What ever you cook on it will be better! It will add That wood fired touch, you can add a little or a lot of that wood fired flavor based on your setting's, the grill is Very Versatile. My kids love Baking cookies on it, and yes they taste amazing!! Got to get the whole Family involved! Pork Butt, Baby Backs, Turkey, Chicken, Sausage, Jerkey, Salmon, Jalapeno Poppers, Hamburgers, Steaks, Cookies, Cakes ...the list goes on!!!!
The best Bang for the buck is The PG500, But that being said, I liked the PG500 so Much that I ordered The PG1000. And I do not Regret doing so.
I have the PG500 and absolutely love it. I suggest you buy the optional front shelf with it - you won't regret that and the doors do not interfere much with what's on the shelf - depends on whether both doors open at same time and what height item you have on the shelf. Doors open "up" at 20 or so degrees angle so there is clearance room at shelf.
I bought the PG500 (vs the PG1000) for two reasons: cost less, and I liked the look of the PG500 better. Had it three years now.
It does produce great food - I gave away my Weber Genesis propane grill as I wasn't using it anymore. Whichever model you buy, you won't regret it.
quote:
Originally posted by DE:
I have had a PG1000 since 2011. You will not regret your purchase and I hope like myself you will not experience any buyers remorse for any period of time. I'm in Texas so I also did not need the insulated top but I do like it better than I think I would have the PG500. Great for Pizza, biscuits, steaks (reverse sear or no) Ribs, Brisket, Turkey, Chicken, Salmon, you name it. I especially liked having the ability to have my grill ready in a short few minutes without any effort. As far as tastes go, you will not get a heavy smoke profile, but it is far better tasting than you get on charcoal. I don't know how heavy a smoke profile you get on your SM 025 but if you choose you can get a much heavier profile on it than you will on the PG. I believe you will love it as I do mine. I also use electrics, SM066 and some others too. Feel free to PM me you email if you wish some pictures and I will email them to you. Almost forgot to mention, you will get the same great support from Cookshack if you ever need it on this product as well. I recommend the 100% Hickory Pellets.
Smiler

Thanks for your all of your replies. I have been leaning towards the PG 1000 but could still go either way. I was really unsure if the 2 doors on the 500 would be in the way when you are grilling. I can see myself burning my arm. do you guys have any problem with that design? Where do you guys buy your pellets and which brands do you recommend...
quote:
Thanks for your all of your replies. I have been leaning towards the PG 1000 but could still go either way. I was really unsure if the 2 doors on the 500 would be in the way when you are grilling. I can see myself burning my arm. do you guys have any problem with that design? Where do you guys buy your pellets and which brands do you recommend...

Yep! I'm a slow learner, I have burnt my arm twice. Roll Eyes

The nice thing about the two doors is you don't loose as much heat when opening them. I've also found myself using the top of it as a warmer.

I'd bet the PG 500 will burn 2-3 times as many pellets also.

With all that said, I'd still buy the 500 version if I had it to do over, but I don't use it much during the deepest part of winter.
Swiener, I have had my PG500 for 3 years now and have not burned my arm (yet) when grilling. The size/length of tongs helps keep your arm out of harm's way (12" or 18"). Size I use depends on size of meat pieces I'm grilling. I think only opening one small door when grilling vs opening that whole hood loses less heat, but have no way to compare. I find that the fire pot is putting out plenty of heat when adjusted for higher grilling temps and that recovery time is minimal. What the temperature is over at the "smoking" side is not what the temp is over at the grilling side when food is over that fire pot & flame tamer. Plenty of heat there.

Don't know that PG500 would burn 2-3 times more pellets than PG1000, but it would burn more than the PG1000 - check Cookshack's specs on both or call them up if that is a major factor to you.
Like Cal, I would buy the PG500 again if I were to need another one.
I use lumber jack pellets. They may not be a forum favorite but I have found that the 100 % cherry and 100 % hickory to fit in with my flavor profile. I order them by the pallet and they come in 40 pound bags. Great company with outstanding customer service. They occasionally send me emails to notify me that they are putting together a group sale in my area. Last time I split a pallet and my costs per pound shipped was ridiculously low.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.