Skip to main content

I am going to be pulling the trigger on a 45 or AQ here shortly. My question is, if I were just cooking ribs at a gathering how many racks of ribs could I get in a 45 vs AQ with and without the use of rib racks that stand the ribs on edge.

I can't tell how many ribs the racks from CS hold and it looks like the racks from the Charcol Store holds 7. But, can you swap out equal number of flat shelves for rib rack shelves (i.e. 3 in the 45 and 4 in the AQ)? Do you lose one shelf capacity with the ribs standing on edge?

Thanks in advance
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have an 020 which uses the same size racks, you can get 2 racks of St. Louis per rack and possibly three racks of baby backs, but it'll be a real tight fit. I'd count on two racks per rack. Both the CS & Charcoal Store rib racks will hold 7 slabs, I have the Charcoal Store rack. With baby backs/loin backs, you should have no problems, SL cut would depend on the size of the rib, but pretty sure you can fit them in.

Only thing I would be concerned about would be if the heating element can keep up with a full load of ribs. I did seven slabs, two tri-tips and a pan of beans last summer and I think I maxed mine out. Couldn't get the temp over 187 even though I had it set to 275. Had to go to plan B, the oven. Mad
Last edited by andyj
ISUZU, I know exactly what your asking, I don't know the inches in between the rails that hold the racks and if you can replace all of them with the rib racks and have enough room for the ribs to stand up, let alone enough room for the bars that hold the ribs up. That would be a good question for. CS staff, give them a call, they are always there when I call. They can help u decide.
I have not used the CS rib rack, but I have used other rib racks.
The rib racks I have used will hold 6 racks of ribs (now say that 6 times real fast)

The issue I have with the rib racks I have used is that 1 grate must be removed to use them
Each grate will hold 3 (4 if they are small) racks of ribs so there is no capacity gain when removing grates to use rib racks

One important thing to keep in mind is that no matter how or what you load in the AmeriQue with the rails in the lower position make sure nothing touches the temp probe in the back or you will not be able to control the cook temp

I have done 18 racks of ribs in my AmeriQue without an issue more than once
I have 4 cases of BBs to do this Thursday and I am beginning to wonder how I plan on getting it done with 2 smokers

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.