Skip to main content

Okay, I am 60 and over the years have owned many BBQ Cooking Devices. I currently own a Grill Dome extra tall (competitor to Green Egg, a Grill Man 3'X 4' Gas Grill and a large Weber Charcoal Grill. I use the Grill Dome in Raleigh and the other two at our place on the Eastern Shore of VA.

I have customers that have tried to convince me that an electric smoker is the best way to cook butts, brisket, ribs and salmon. One of my customers own a Cookshack Smoker (not certain of the model) and loves it.

My current favorite grill is the Grill Dome and I have done low and slow cooks on it with outstanding results. Since I have not tried an electric smoker nor have I eaten food cooked by one I am, lets say, hesitant. However, knowing my history with grilling equipment I know I will take the plunge and purchase a Cookshack Smoker soon. While I know this question has been asked many times do you recommend I start with a small unit or the Amerique?

Thanks in advance and I am enjoying this forum.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I took the plunge and went straight to the AQ, only because I read several posts by people who wished they had gotten a bigger smoker, or wanted to upgrade to one. It is handy to have the 4 shelves, as I frequently smoke almonds on the extra shelves while I am smoking meat for dinner. The hold feature on the AQ has not really been something I use much, but I thought it was an advantage when considering the purchase. It is admittedly a pricey investment, but since they are supposed to last forever, I wanted to get something I felt I would be happy with, and not need to upgrade (and spend more $) later. One weekend I smoked 2 PB's and 2 big packer briskets--in all about 50# of meat--and it handled it beautifully.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.