Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We have used the FEC100 for the past 3 years (almost). The FE is more consistant and the smoke flavor, while not as strong, is never over smoked. The box is insulated, so weather is usually not a factor. The main thing is that once you get used to it, it is so much easier! Like all cookers, there is a learning curve to get over, but with this forum and Cookshack support, help unmatached for quality and being very helpful. All you have to do is ask. No one will consider any question you may ask, a dumb question. You will get help.
Any new smoker you can use the methods you did before but there will be some differences. Fire management for one. Type of environment (humidity) and airflow (which effects the end product). So many differences in smokers. Typically I'd say do what you did, but adjust as needed.

Part of a good BBQ cook is being able to adapt to a new smoker. A little practice and it will be easy enough and we can help along the way.

HOWEVER. If you soak you wood (never do that) don't soak your pellets Wink You'll get pelletcrete and that's a bad thing.

The heat will be more even. You'll need to cook with it some, might be some timing differences as to when, how long, etc.

I don't foil in my FE's. I don't like the effect on the bark (I like bark) but you certainly can foil.
Last edited by Former Member
One thing that I have found in the conversion from a stick burner to my FEC120 is that it cooks a little faster due to the convection cooking I believe. The temps are very even rack to rack. I have loaded my 120 up with ribs and have had super results. This past weekend I cooked two 14 lb. briskets and four 8 lb. butts for my GF’s mother’s 90th birthday celebration. The last of the meat was ready to pull and rest in the Cambros after 14 hours. Great product results set aside, the thing that really shines with these cookers is convenience. I set the controller to a two stage cook with four hours at 185 and then to take it to 225 for the remainder of the cook. When the 120 had settled down after startup, I put the meat in for the cook and went in and got a great nights sleep. I woke up Saturday morning, made coffee, poured a cup and went out to find the 120 putting out beautiful light blue smoke and the temp at 227. What a fantastic way to start the day, a beautiful sunrise, the aroma of wood smoke, bbq and fresh coffee.
we are using bone in butts either ibp or farmland average of 65 lb per case. ibp is usually 8 butts per case farmland is 10 do you think i will be able to get 2 cases in a 120? i like the thought of sleeping at night. so far this week we have cooked 6 cases in the stick burner for various events. thank you all for your input
Rob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.