Skip to main content

I am currently enjoying my 10th day of retirement and my wife and I are on our way to owning a B&B in Vermont.

In addition to breakfast, we will be serving dinner to guests. We plan to make grilling an smoking a feature of our meals.

Currently I use BGE and Primo grills, but I want to make smoked trout a featured appetizer and I can see lots of other uses for a CS smoker.

So, now to my question. I am new to all the legal aspects of cooking in a commercial kitchen and I see that the commercial units have different certifications, but I am unsure if they are actually required for a commercial kitchen.

I really like the looks of the 160, but the Amerique would work just fine, it it is okay to use in a commercial kitchen. Can anyone point me in the right direction>
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Where in VT are you Bob? I own a restaurant in Woodstock...The Prince & The Pauper.

I recently sold my Amerique (loved it) for a FEC100. The AQ was flawless and sounds to be a perfect size. You will need to ventilate it with an exhaust system if using it indoors. As Wayne suggests, check with the BOH as to NSF requjirements.

If you'd like to see an FEC in operation, let me know.
Thanks fellas. I already considered talking to the health dept. to understand about using my grills in an outdoor kitchen, so I will cover the questions about the smoker at the same time.

Max, we are buying a place outside of Rutland, so it looks like we are practically neighbors. We hope to take over on November 1. I will look for a time when we can get to Woodstock before then.
quote:
Originally posted by BobS:
Thanks fellas. I already considered talking to the health dept. to understand about using my grills in an outdoor kitchen, so I will cover the questions about the smoker at the same time.

When I had my kitchen licensed in Arizona the inspector told me as long as I had an indoor oven to finish off anything cooked outdoors (in case of inclement weather) barbecues and such were fine. I know the weather isn't an issue for the Cookshacks and just can't imagine where they would have issue with them.

I wish you the best of luck! What a wonderful idea and perfect location for you!
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.