Skip to main content

I'm trying to decide which of these two smokers to buy. What kind of differences can I expect between the pellet fueled smoker and the electric? I'm mostly interested in overall food quality with the least amount of screwing around, and if the FEC is worth the extra money. I want 'set it and forget it' control over my cooks. Perfectpellets.com is right down the street so I have pellets at my disposal! Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have both, and I prefer my FEC100 over my Amerique. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The FEC has the advantage of a wider temp range, it will go to 425 which is better for poultry. The Amerque will go lower, which is better for cold smoking on fish and sausage. After all is said and done, I use my FEC a LOT more.
To add on to Mike's comment...

The FEC100 has double the capacity; 100 lbs vs 50 lbs.

Pellets, exclusive of shipping costs, run anywhere between .60 - 1.50 @ lb. The FEC burns about one lb an hr running at 225 - 250. The Amerique uses less than an ounce of wood per hour.

Pellets create a subtle smoke flavor profile.
Wood creates a robust smoke profile in general. There are ways of kicking up the smoke in an FEC and ways of lowering the smoke in an AQ

The FEC will allow for two different temp settings via HOLD/COOK. This is one method of increasing the smoke level. The AQ has a HOLD feature...set the temp, load meat and set the probe for doneness temp. The HOLD will take it to temp and drop to 140 when done. This can be done with the FEC as well.

It really boils down to:
1. Do you need the extra 50 lb capacity of the FEC?
2. Do you want to spend the extra $2K?

Both are very well built and will offer years of reliability.

Hope that helps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.