Skip to main content

Reply to "Accuracy of thermostat..."

Here are the results of the Smokette temperature experiment as sent to Tony in CS customer service: Smiler

Tony,

Here are the results from my recently completed 3 hour test of my empty Smokette 009, as you suggested. Measurements were made with a Taylor 1470 digital thermometer/timer with the metal part of the probe just completely in the smoke hole and hanging free. Smokette temperature dial was set at 250 degrees. I also set a NSF fry thermometer in the smoke hole, I did not record those temperatures, because it doesn't have the readability, but I would guess it might have measured somewhat hotter than the Taylor, but the temperature swings were generally very consistent.

Upon the recommendation of GLH in the Owner's forum, I checked the accuracy of both thermometers is my electric tea pot. As both heated, I observed the temperature rise of both thermometers. The Taylor generally lagged slightly behind the fry thermometer, but that may have at to do with the probes position in the pot. Water boiled temperature with the Taylor measured 210 degrees, the fry about 218, which is consistent with the above results. Elevation here is about 60 feet above sea level so the Taylor read 2 degrees low, the fry 6 degrees hot. Not all that bad considering the price of each.

Time 0, outside temp 54, probe temp 54; 10 = 96; 20 = 180; 30 = 217; 40 = 253; 50 = 264; 1 hour = 226; 1:10 = 215; 1:20 = 257; 1:30 = 260, outside temp 57; 1:40 = 219; 1:50 = 224; 2 hours = 266; 2:10 = 246; 2:20 = 213; 2:30 = 237; 2:40 = 267; 2:50 = 231; 3 hours = 219, outside temp 65.

Highest temperature recorded = 267, lowest temperature recorded after reaching initial set point = 213, Average temperature beginning with first reading at 250 or above = 240 degrees, Standard deviation for 15 samples 20 degrees.

That mean temperature of 240 degrees I can live with, but I would much prefer that it was higher than lower than the set point. As in our original discussion with the Smokette set at 225, like most of the people prefer and directions generally state, it is going to take a very, very, long time to get to an internal temperature of 190 for pulled pork, especially with a recorded general swing on the low side of 35 degrees below the set point. In this Smokette, I might as well have an on/off switch rather than a dial. This of course is without any load of anything. Since I have a 105 from an old restaurant and it runs great on that old circuit and cord and it holds really well around the set and hold temperatures, these results can't hardly be compared in any fashion, which is part of the reason I bought the Smokette in the first place, to test recipes and somewhat times.

I will try the and see what the extension cord and the other circuit does with these results sometime in the future. Cool

Thanks again,