Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on purchasing a smoker"

Flyingman:  I have been running these smokers for over 20 years.  I still have the SMO9 that I started with and it is still running strong.  I also have a SMO45, an SMO66, and a new PG 1000.  I always recommend that people order direct from Cookshack and have them upgrade the grills to Stainless Steel.  They are less expensive this way.  You might call cookshack and tell them that you didn't know this upgrade was available.  There are some differences in the cookshack and Masterbuilt.  First off you will not need to add a water pan.  These smokers cook very moist.  People that do jerky and sausage in them actually have to open the door several times during the cook just to dump moisture.  When you get your smoker look at the inside back wall.  You will see a small tube sticking out.  This is the thermostat for the smoker.  REMEMBER THIS.  you will want to clean it every so often.  You also do not want to load anything that you are smoking so that it is in contact with or close to the tube.  These smokers are very wood stingy.  4 to 6 Oz. of wood will be all you need.  The control unit has a preset start up cycle built in.  There isn't a way to over ride this default.  For the first 30 minutes or so your smoker will run on high.  This is to get the smoke rolling and smoker warmed up.  You may see temperatures above your set temp. during this time.  One other thing for you to do is do a search on this site for "Big Bang" and do some reading.