Skip to main content

Reply to "Amerique warming/resting"

I have found that, with my Amerique, it takes a long time for the temp to drop back down to 140. These things are so darned well insulated! If I need to hold for a relatively short time, I'll open the door until the temp drops to about 130 and then close it until I'm ready to serve. Even then, the temp usually goes up to about 150 or more. I take the meat out when I'm ready and slice, pull, whatever, and serve pretty much immediately. If I'm going to need to hold it for more than about an hour, I'll wrap it in foil, then wrap it in one or two towels, then place it in a cooler. Finally, I'll fill the cooler with towels, rags, etc. until the cooler is completely full. I have kept meat for 6 hours that way and it is so hot it will burn your hands when you take it out. It also makes the meat more tender and juicy.

I have also smoked up to 1000 chicken halves for our church in several smokers that are much larger than the Amerique. When I do this, I cook the chicken without any rub, brining, marinade or sauce. I make up a vinegar based sauce that I dip the chicken into only after they are fully cooked, as I'm taking them off the smoker. I immediately put the halves into a cooler without foil or towels. However, I fill the coolers completely full of chicken. We can open the coolers as much as 10 hours later and burn our eyes if we're not careful. Our tiny little church ALWAYS sells out all 1000 dinners by 10:00am whenever we do this.

Hope this helps,