Skip to main content

Reply to "Annual Turkey 101 Discussion"

I was satisfied with this years results. I forgot to make my brine ahead of time so it was 10:30 Tuesday night before the brine was cooled to where I could put the turkey in. I took it out at 10:30 Thursday morning, so it was in the brine about 36 hours. It was a 13.76 lb Country Pride from Walmart.

I pretty much used Smokin's brine, but I couldn't reach the white sugar on the top shelf so I substituted Turbinado, and I used a teaspoon of garlic powder instead of the chopped garlic which I had forgotten. I did use the Tender Quick since I din't know if we would all be able to all eat at the same time, and it might have to sit out a little while.

I put about ten sprigs of fresh sage and the same of rosemary in the neck and chest cavity along with a stalk of celery, half an onion, half an orange, and half an apple, all chunked.

Patted the skin with a paper towel to make sure it was good and dry and sprayed with Crisco butter flavored spray because that's what I happened to have handy. In the FE at 11:15 with the FE set at 180 using a 50/50 blend of oak and pecan. I ran to the store to pick up the other things I thougth I had, but didn't (chopped garlic).

I got back at 12:30 and kicked the temp control up to 275. The smoker ran a consistent 270-280 according to the digital display on the smoker. I was using a digital probe, but only used it as a guestimate. I sprayed with the Crisco again about 4:30. The breast Thermapened at 162 at 6:10, and I pulled it and into the Cateraide. I had forgotten to turn the bird breastside down for the last hour or so of the smoke, so I did so after I pulled it to let it rest.

At 7:10 I had all the sides ready, so I pulled the turkey to slice. The skin was crisp and nut brown, but I don't eat it anyway.

I had nubbed off the legs right where the meat joins the bone to let the meat contract down the leg bone and expose the cartilage. I took large tweezers and pulled all the cartilage out of the legs. My grandson loves the legs, and that made it easier eating for him. The breast was moist enough to see the juice puddle a little when you pressed on a breast slice.

I had also smoked an 8.5 lb John Morrell bone-in ham that I didn't do anything to except remove the rind. Now I'm getting ready to go to Whataburger and get lunch, because it's all gone. I guess that means it was all at least good enough to eat.