Skip to main content

Reply to "Anybody using a PC to monitor their smoker?"

Okay, if you have the need for total information, then I say give it a try, many will be interested in the information. As for CS's new controller, summer is busy season and I can personally vouch that Stuart is working his tail off. The new smoker, the new controllers for several smokers OH and traveling trying to sell smokers.

We've had a couple of scientific types that have graphed their results and provided to us.

Now for my soap box...

I'm all about more information, that's why I do this forum for free, I don't work for CS. I love teaching people how to Q since I didn't have access to mentors/teaches as I learned Q.

That amount of information is all well and good, but it won't make a better brisket. I can't give you a guaranteed time and temp for any particular meat that will guarantee results. I know you need more information, but the end result is what matters. Each cook, you have to learn to adjust to the meat itself. Every 6lb brisket flat will not cook the same. Ribs 1/2 lb different will cook totally different. One butt will sit on the plateau for 30 min and another one the same size will sit there for 3 hours.

The only thing that will help is Practice. Practice, practice, practice. Keep a simple log and track time, temp and overall results and you're results will quickly improve.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for your scientific endeavour. I just think in our need for information and all the "set it and forget it" types, we get away from the Mastery of the Meat, and Art of the Q and the fun of filling your face/hair/clothers with the smell of good Q cooking. That's why I've done so many contests this year, I'd gotten away from spending enough time with my smoker and it was threatening to leave me Big Grin

Sorry for the "smokin' post" as Tom would say, guess I was in a typing mood.

Smokin'