Skip to main content

Reply to "Anybody using a PC to monitor their smoker?"

Hi Smokin,

The scenario I described actually easier than it sounds. And I might just make the kit and sell it! Although I probably wont make much money on it, maybe I can barter for barbecue!

You know the actual truth of the matter is, with the Cookshack smoker there is very little that needs to be controlled other than setting the thermostatic control and possibly a strategic placement of the food on the racks and where on the racks that may make a difference.

I can see however needing this instrumentation on an offset or similar smoker. Repeatability is critical in competition, if these guys can make the exact same product the same way they might just be more successful and any competitive advantage that can be had is desired as part of an overall effective strategy.

In terms of sending wireless to your laptop, the cost would be about $200 for 3-4 process variable data points (3-4 temp probes). It would consist of the Dataq serial startup kit, 3-4 polder probes, a few resisters, small enclosure, small circuit board, power supply and a serial to ethernet wireless converter (Lantronix).

Ahh well thats a long way off...gotta work on getting the polder replacement probes to work first before I have grandiose plans like above...

Regards,
Preston