Skip to main content

Reply to "Baby Back Ribs Smoke Temp"

Well, a lot to address. I'll just say for now that I've tried 225 and 250 and 275 for cook temps for loin backs. I settled on 250 for a while but found that although the bark was great, depending on the source and shape and configuration of the rack, the tenderness and juiciness was not as good at 250 as it was a 225 so I decided to take the extra time for what I wanted. So I'm back to 225, and yeah, it can take from 5 hours to even 6.5 hours depending on the thickness of the meat and the overall size of the rack. As far as source (and I'm talking exclusively about 2 - 3 rack cryovacs here), I really like Sam's Club, and I sorta like BJ's, but I really don't like Costco's Swift brand racks, because they are so thick and include a very large portion of the loin that turns out dry and tasteless on top of almost every rib piece.

I take off the membrane on back, and don't usually trim anything else. I use dry rub on the rack, generously, about 1/2 hour before putting the rack in the smoker. I have a SM066 Amerique and I use about 3 oz of wood (usually fruit wood like peach or apple). I use the toothpick test for doneness and I never, ever sauce my ribs. Good BBQ never needs sauce, is my philosophy, but I'll serve it on the side if requested. My personal test for doneness is to pick the rack up in the middle with tongs. If it bends but does not quite fall off the bones, it is done.  More info than you asked for but there it is.