Skip to main content

Reply to "Baby Back Ribs Smoke Temp"

I prefer my AmeriQue when I'm doing ribs. When I'm pushed for time I cheat a little. My wood of choice is apple, but I do sometimes use hickory and maybe a little cherry. No matter how big a hurry I get in I smoke at 225*

I am a firm believer in the Jonny Trigg 3-2-1 method of doing ribs at 225*, nut that is best suited for spare ribs rather than baby backs. To do baby backs I have adapted to 2.25-2-1.

Clean up is easier for with the AmeriQue rather than the SM260 so when pushed I will do 9 racks of baby backs in the AmeriQue at 225* for 2 hours and 15 minutes. I pull them out ad put 9 more racks in with fresh wood chunks. The first batch will then go into an electric roaster (don't judge me I'm in a hurry) with a pint of apple juice at a preheated 225* for 2 hours. When the 2nd batch is ready to come out of the smoker a 3rd batch replaces it. The 1st batch comes out of the 1st electric roaster, BBQ Sauce is slathered on them and they go into a 2nd preheated electric roaster at 225* for 1 hour. The 2nd batch replaces the 1st batch in the 1st electric roaster.  and so the process goes until the last batch comes out of the roasters (which is usually on the way to my next stop)

I have only done this with 3 batches of 9 ribs, so far. Then I'm usually caught up and at my next stop so I just use the AmeriQue or my pellet grill.

I've gotten used to doing my ribs this way because I started using my SM260 as a holding oven. I hold my ribs, brisket, pork but and whatever else I'm serving at 145* in the SM260. The SM260 travels inside my trailer so if I used it to smoke anything I'd have to really deep clean it before using it as a holding oven inside my trailer. Don't get me wrong I do use it for larger smokes. I just like doing "small batches" of ribs this way, And my customers seem to like them also