Skip to main content

Reply to "Babyback learning curve"

Don't put them in a cold smoker. You're not accounting for the time to come up to temp.

Set it for 245 and when it indicates that's the temp, put them in. Put them in cold, or room temp, some people prefer one way or the other, but the ribs won't care.

Ribs actually go through several stages while cook, so "lookin' ain't cookin'" it's the end result you want. They'll look dry at times, others they'll give up the juice, etc.

Shrinkage from bone is NOT an indication of who good, how bad, how done, how not done. Too much variance but in my smokers I almost never get that, but that's why you see it happen on a grill.

Read through the forum, there are lots of discussions about how to determine when they are done.

quote:
at 6 hour mark they looked good on outside but werent feeling tender/done even yet

What I mean, when I say "it's done when it's done" is that you can not go on time alone. If at 6 hours they weren't ready, you should have let them go longer. you just can't rush a good smoke. They might have been perfect at 7 or even 8 hours.

quote:
at 2.4 lbs and 6 hours plus i assume i overcooked
Again, time isn't the key, because your individual mileage may vary. If I put 2.4 lb bb's in a smoker at 240, somewhere around the 4 to 6 range they'll be almost done. Thickness matters, lots of things.

quote:
also okie always says the smoker cooks very moistly ...why do i feel like i am getting drier results from it
Because you finished them on a grill Big Grin

Dryness is ribs is pretty subjective. Lot of people like to foil, add liquid, etc to try to help that.

We'll get you there. You have a pretty good foundation, I'd just suggest to simplify a few steps and then work into more ideas from that.

Russ