Skip to main content

Reply to "Babyback Ribs - Cookshack Beginner"

On my SM-066, I use 2 - 3 oz of peach wood chunks (whatever wood you have or you like will work, although I find mesquite too harsh for smoking anything), and cook at 225 for about 5 - 6 hours until the toothpick test works (toothpick slides in between ribs like into warm butter). They come out bite off, not fall off, the bone as I like them. Before cooking, I remove the membrane and I usually use Porkmafia Memphis Mud as a rub. I do not rub the ribs before hand, and I do not preheat the smoker. I never sauce ribs, or anything else I smoke, since I don't like BBQ sauce; to me it hides the flavor of the meat and is redundant with a good rub, but I will serve it on the side if guests want it. If necessary, I will pull the ribs when they are done and wrap them in heavy foil (I never foil during cooking) and keep them in a 150 degree oven until needed, up to one hour. Oh, and I start bone side down and usually flip them over about halfway through since I think that gives a better bark on the meat side. But the whole thing about BBQ is experimenting and deciding what you like. It is supposed to be fun! Good luck, and report back!