Skip to main content

Reply to "Beans in a smokette"

I wait to put the beans in under the butt until the butt is out of the plateau, say 165 degrees F. You get some fat and some juice and not too much of either that way.

I heat the beans first in the oven to 250 F or so. If you put them in the smoker cold, the temperature of the smoker will drop.

You can use whatever recipe you want, enhanced however you want. Essentially what you are doing is reheating the beans in smoke. And that is good. Real good.

I have posted what I do for beans here before. Use the search engine. Essentially I open a couple of cans of beans, my family like Bush original, add onion and garlic, perhaps sauteed, some green chile, a bit of molasses or maple syrup, and a couple of shots of Southern Comfort, Wild Turkey, Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. Heat it in an oven to 250 degrees or so and then put under the butt when it reaches 165 or so. I use a disposable aluminum foil pan, but a roasting pan will work if you are willing for it to get a bit of soot on it.

There is lots of fat in this. It didn't hurt the pig, and, if you don't do this too often, it won't hurt you. It does add a lot of flavor.