Skip to main content

Reply to "Big Temp Swings"

I agree with you Smokin but I was getting kind of desperate. The one rather little butt had been in for over 21 hours and guests were coming.
What is the best way to verify the accuracy of the probe? I have a wireless Maverick.
In the FWIW category, I took the probes out when I was switching the butt to the grill and re-inserted it in a different (and perhaps slightly thinner) part of the meat. The temp shot up to 209. I was thinking about abandoning the grill idea but was worried that this was some undercooked portions of pork.
Don't get me wrong..especially you lurkers that are out there trying to decide about buying a Cookshack...the meat was delicious and as everyone who has eaten the food out of the smoker has told me, it beats anything from local (and good) bbq restaurants. This is just part of the eternal and impossible quest to make things perfect. Cookshack smokers will do that to you...make you want perfectly smoked foods each and every time.
Believe me, I could have set just set it and forget it, and it would have been absolutely perfect. The bottom line is something that Smokin always says..it's ready when it's ready.