Skip to main content

Reply to "Book Report"

Unfortunately, yes, 5000 cook books. Really. But I have no love life if that's any consolation. But both the books and the love life, or lack there of, are the result of a lifetime in the restaurant business, and 25+ years doing menu development for restaurants from coast to coast.

No list though. Since I just moved they are all in my garage packed in boxes, and when I unpack them I plan to catalog as I go. But as an indication of how deep the sickness runs, since March 1st I've added over 30 new cookbooks to the collection. Some people drink. Some people smoke. I buy books in general, and cookbooks in particular.

Here's a short list for Pags.

My favorite cookbook of all time:
Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, and Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Appalachian Cooking, Joseph Dabney

Favorite BBQ book (I'm not saying it's the best, but I love the restaurant and I've been thinking more than I should of late about how to recreate it down my way):
Dinosaur BBQ, John Stage

Neat video of Dinosaur BBQ:
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi1410924569/

Book that makes me feel good:
Staff Meals, David Waltuck

Any cookbook published by Chronicle. On Amazon do an advanced search by publisher. With few exceptions, I have every one of their cook books and they are universally excellent, with some of the best food photography ever.

Most any book by Joyce Goldstein or Paula Wolfert

And Pags, seeing how she's from your neck of the woods, you really should have everything by Cindy Pawlcyn

Lastly, if you want to feel like you've taken a trip, anything by Jeffrey Alford

If there's any particular type of food someone is interested in, PM me and I can point you in the direction of the right books.