Skip to main content

Reply to "Brining Ratios"

Well I guess that confirms my question about TQ. I guess I was right all the time. Wink I never use it either but thought I would shake the tree and see what fell out. Big Grin As for the ratio of 1:1, does anyone think you can ever over brine with this ratio? And is there ever a point at which you are being counter productive, meaning the cell is as full of water and seasoning as it's going to get and at that point you are just soaking for the fun of it. Confused It seems to me that is what you are looking for, too maximize the cell with moisture and seasoning at which point you cook, of course the weight of the product comes into play. Most of the time I am brining shoulder around 6 lbs or so. The four day brining seem to be working but I may try to back off a day at a time to see if there is a point at which it makes no difference. As for the mushy part, I think it may take part when you get the brine too strong for the weight of the product and it starts to destroy the cell making it mushy,so to speak, does that sound posable? I know Tom had it right when he said that it is critical with fish and chicken. I think it's because of the density of the meat. Roll EyesMy head is starting to hurt.
Just one more thing and I'm out of here,Jerry can you expound on this a litte more:In the old days when salt was used as primarily a preservative, the Department of Agriculture generally went with 10% salt by weight. Now with my smokette, freezer etc. I am generally between 2% and 4% depending on meat and/or sugar in the cure.
Is a cure and a brine the same, or is the difference the about of salt/water/sugar and time, that the product is put into? Can there ever be a point where the osmosis takes place but doesn't cure just add's flavor?
I better go now, I'm starting to babble and I'm out of chips. If anyone can make any sense out of this then your a better man than me.