Skip to main content

Reply to "Brisket Success!"

Don't know much more about brisket than Jay, but would be glad to ramble on what I've had the pleasure to experience....

My brisket cooking got much better when I got more selective on what I picked to cooked. I like prime grade, but have had good results in being very selective on choice briskets. The better the grade the higher finish temp seemed to be, not that I really worry about a certain finish temp. Seems to me, that the higher temp I ran my pit at, also resulted in a higher finish temp....it just got done faster though.

As far as the fat seem, I remove the fat cap from the point, and try to remove some of it from the seem(to expose the point). Not a proven fact, but by removing fat cap off the point, I think you get more of the seem to render, and you'll never have the concern of drying out the point. So I basically have the fat cap off of 2/3rds of the meat/point on the bottom, if that makes any sense.

I too love Butchers injection, at home, I use the original at about 2/3rds the strength and add a tablespoon of beef base and a tablespoon of Worcester sauce. inject cross grain at a 45* angle while pulling the needle out. I don't inject the point either.

I do wrap with foil for an added flavor, but I like to do it later then most folks and I want my marinade warmed up first. I use a modified "Rick's Sinful Marinade", you can google that beer marinade. Make sure you use a full body beer, I prefer Shiner's beer.

Last edited by cal 2