Skip to main content

Reply to "Brisket Success!"

I am just a home cook, but do cook for a party once a year.  The big cook is 4 to 5 packer briskets.  I us Choice grade briskets, but do a good job of sorting them.  I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4", and remove as much of the hard fat as I can.  Season with Wild Willy's dry rub, and let the briskets sit in the fridge from 8 to 24 hours.  I run a SMO-66 smoker.  Cold briskets in a cold smoker to start.  I use 4 to 6 oz. of what ever wood strikes me.  I start the smoker at 200 degrees because I want to get as much smoke on them as I can before the IT of the meat hits 140 degrees.  I usually do another load of wood before the IT is 140 degrees.  I turn the smoker temp. up to 220, and let it run until bed time, and then turn it down to 210 over night.  When I get up, the smoker temp is turned up to 250 to 275 degrees, and runs until the brisket hits 190 degrees IT.  At this point I use a tooth pick to test for doneness.  When the tooth pick goes into the brisket like it was warm butter, they are done.  Sometimes this is 190 degrees, up to 205 degrees.  The smoke usually takes 24 hours.  When the briskets are done, I put them in disposable pans, and cover the pans with foil place them in a warm ice chest for up to 4 hours.  The longer the better.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 12 6 18 6
  • 12 6 18 5