Skip to main content

Reply to "Butts for a wedding..."

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Angler:
I've changed my mind again.

I did two test butts.
    One butt was pulled and vac packed.
    The other butt was foiled, cooled, stored whole, re-warmed in the oven (225F) in the foil, and pulled.

The second butt was better. More juicy, better texture, more flavor.

So...

Can I re-warm the foil wrapped butts in an oven or Nesco at about 220-240? What internal temp should I shoot for when re-warming?

Any other advice?

Well, food serving safety typically has reheat specified to take up to 165, then decrease down to any temp above 140 degrees (f). So the next thought is typically "why do I need to reheat to 165 degrees, cause I can eat it cold from the fridge if I want, liked a sliced beef cold cut sandwich?" Part of this reheat to 165 degrees is to make sure it's safe to hold at, say 145 degrees the rest of the day. If your slowly re-heating a product up to 145 degrees to hold for the day, it can be in the 'danger zone' for too long.

I too find that the more 'whole' the product, the better it tastes reheated. However, reheating a whole butt typically takes longer than pulled pork. You can also try 'pulling' the pork your going to vacuum bag or foil, but leaving it much larger pieces than you would normally serve. Then when you vacuum pack it, you can do so in a flatter pack, which stacks easier than round butts, and also reheats quicker.

Rick