Skip to main content

Reply to "Carp"

Ahhhhh, the meories of smoked carp......

Its been over 27 years since I've had it, but I still remember my Grandpa bringing it out of the frige and sharing with us. He had a friend smoke them for him.

Until this post I'd forgotten about it. It was certainly before I was even thinking about boiling water much less queing!

If I were to go out and catch some carp this weekend here is how I'd go about smoking them based on my experience with Trout:

After filleting the fish and taking out the mud vain I'd soak it in either plain table salt water or buttermilk overnight.

The next morning I'd make a brine. There are several fish brines listed in the archives. I use one of brown sugar, koshar salt, black peppercorns, garlic cloves, and bay leaves. I can't give the amounts right now, I don't have the recipe handy. I'd brine for 4- 6 hours.

Rinse thouroughly and let dry to form a pelicle as with trout & salmon.

I'd smoke using 1-2 ozs. of hickory, apple, or cherry at a t-stat setting of 170 degrees.

Since carp will more times than not be thicker than the trout I do, I'm guessing it take about 2- 2 1/2 hours till the fish flaked and was done.

Now that I told you what I'd try I'm gonna go read the link bbqbull posted to see how far off base I am.

Lynchburg.......thanks for jarring my childhood memories.

GLH, don't knock it till ya've tried it. I'm betting I could get ya to sit up all night drinking beer and eatin smoked carp while we pretended to tend the CookShacks full of normal meat that the women & chillun folk would eat.