Skip to main content

Reply to "Chicken Mattone - or Brick Chicken"

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
I swear dls was a professional chef in his other life. I'm going to try this using dls' paste. I've spatchcocked chickens before (I've got a nice poultry shears) and have wanted to do the "brick thing". I'm motivated. How do you think this would turn out with jerk seasoning of some sort?

Nope - No professional chef here, or in any prior life that I'm aware of. Just a guy who's spent many, many years (decades) bouncing around the globe, primarily on business, seeking out unique and interesting local food along the way. My objective is to eat where the locals do, be it fine dining, street food, and if I'm lucky, in their homes. Something of a foodcentric wanderlust. I'm traveling anyway so I do my best to make the most of wherever I am.

Jerk seasoning would work fine. You can make your own or buy the bottled stuff. If you go the bottled route try to find the Spur Tree brand . To me, it's the best bottled jerk seasoning out there. Walkerswood and Busha Brownes pale by comparison. Spur Tree is not easy to find at many retailers, but it's readily available online at Amazon or other sites.

The sauce or "paste" ingredients that I use for a 4 lb. chicken are....

- 5-6 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs dry white wine
- 2 tbs. EVOO
- 1 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1 tsp hot sauce (I use Crystal or Franks)
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Let sit at room temp for 2 hours.

Normally, I'll cook the chicken using the oven in a 12" saute pan rather than straight up on a gas grill because of flare ups. There have been times, however, when I've done it in the pan on the grill, and have tossed in a few wood chunks beforehand to get some smoke going.

If doing it without bricks, place the chicken in a large saute pan or skillet skin side down and pour half the sauce over it, rubbing it into the flesh. Turn the chicken over and repeat with the remaining sauce. If using bricks or "al Mattone" reverse the process ending with the skin side down, and then place a smaller (10") cast iron skillet on top of the chicken a put 2 foil lined bricks in it.

Place the pan over high heat for about 5 minutes until the chicken begins to sizzle and brown, then transfer to a 450F oven (or closed grill) and cook for 25-30 minutes until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through. Foil, rest for 5-10 minutes, then carve, serve, and eat.
Last edited by dls