Skip to main content

Chicken Thighs on SM025

I'm going to be smokin' some chicken thighs on my SM025 this weekend. I've read several forums on the subject and the biggest "issue" is the rubbery skin. From reading the forums, I realize that you can finish the thighs in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin if needed.

My plan is to marinate the thighs in Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar dressing, then rub with Cookshack Chicken rub. I'm planning on using 2 oz apple wood in the smoker.

My questions:
The SM025 can get up to 300 degrees. Is it easier to get crispy skins on this model vs. older models that only went up to 250 degrees? I was thinking about smoking the thighs at 225 until done then bump the temp to 300 to crisp the skins.

Or would it be best to smoke the thighs at 300 the entire time? Will the thighs be as tender and smokey if cooked this way?

I don't mind finishing the thighs in the oven or on the grill if that's the best way to do so, but I was hoping to cut out that step if it was possible with the SM025.

I'll post the results and pics after the smoke this weekend. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Original Post