Skip to main content

Reply to "Chicken Thighs on SM025"

quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:

My questions:
The SM025 can get up to 300 degrees. Is it easier to get crispy skins on this model vs. older models that only went up to 250 degrees? I was thinking about smoking the thighs at 225 until done then bump the temp to 300 to crisp the skins.

Or would it be best to smoke the thighs at 300 the entire time? Will the thighs be as tender and smokey if cooked this way?

If there was a rock solid answer to your question(s) you could make beau coup dollars selling it to competition cooks Smiler

Chicken thighs cook in a relatively short time. Low n slow (225)in a smoker produces smoke flavor and rubbery skin. Hot and fast will produce less smoke but more tender skin. I've yet to produce crispy skin via a smoker. I've come close grilling them over indirect cowboy charcoal with wood chips. Sear 'em quickly over high heat, bank them off to get proper temp and finish them quickly over direct coals. Sauce them JUST before plating them.

I've only judged one comp as a KCBS judge and the turn-in that got my highest score hit the mark right on the nose as per tender skin and smokey meat. The skin wasn't crisp but it came away clean with a bite and was as tender as the perfectly cooked thigh meat.