Skip to main content

Reply to "Clean Smoke"

quote:
Originally posted by Gumbo:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
I tried to hurry as fast as I could to keep from losing heat.

You know, I've noticed significantly less loss of heat when I upgraded to a newer CS model. Could be real or perceived, but I've started opening as needed without fear or losing heat.

I never had an older model I started with the SM020, which was the black metal version of the sm025. You do have a good point of not worrying about opening it, though I have found that if you can wait till about 2/3rds of the way through your cook it seems to be the best time. You know, let some of the moisture out to get a decent bark.

I guess the newer models are still the same? No matter what temp you set it on, it will run a 20 minute warmup cycle that is on high. I always thought it was to get a good burn going on the wood, but maybe it's to burn off the impurities faster?

Anyway, I leave the smokette at the lake and only get to use it a couple times a year. When I do use it on ribs I try to use 3 little pieces of wood(pecan,oak,cherry), I really haven't thought why, but it does seem to produce a better flavor rib then the pellet smokers I have. They may not look quite as pretty though.
Last edited by cal 2