Skip to main content

Reply to "Costco Prime Briskets"

There are many ways to do brisket and they turn out great Brisket.  Just look at Franklin BBQ in Texas.  They use a simple salt and pepper rub.  Many say this is the best brisket in Texas.  This is just the way I do mine.  I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4" and remove as much "Hard fat" as possible.  I use a rub I mix up called Wild Willy's; https://www.foodwine.com/food/...egg0697/wildrub.html .  I use raw or turbinado sugar, but brown sugar would work.  I have used Mustard to act like glue, and can't really taste it in the finished product.  I have read that you can use Worcestershire Sauce or even Olive oil work also.  I simply put a really good coating of the rub on and let the salt start drawing the moisture to the surface of the brisket.  I do the trimming and dry rub the day before I plan to smoke the brisket.  I want the rub on at least over night.  The next day I put the cold brisket in a cold smoker and then start the smoker.  I cook my briskets fat side up.  I use several different temp setting through the cook.  I use 185 to 200 degrees to start out.  I want to get as much smoke on the brisket as I can before the internal temp of the brisket hits 140 degrees.  Once the brisket comes up to 140 degrees, I bump the smoker temp to 250 to 275 degrees until bed time.  I drop the temp back to 225 degrees, and go to sleep.  Early the next morning, I bump the smoker temp to 275 degrees.  I do not wrap my brisket in foil or "Peach" butcher paper through the cook.  When the brisket hits 185 to 190 degrees I start probing it with a skewer.  When the skewer goes into the brisket like it is warm butter, the brisket is done.  then put it in one of the cheap disposable pans.  and into a warm cooler with the drain hole open.  When I have to wrap I use the butcher paper over the top of the pan.  I don't want the bark that develops on the outside to get soggy.  As far as timing, I plan on a minimum of 8 hours with the rub on, 20 hours in the smoker, and 4 hours in the cooler before slicing time.  I have 009, 045, and 066, and have cooked packer briskets in all of them.  You might have to put a bend in the brisket, and scrunch them up, but they will fit.12 6 18 6   

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 12 6 18 6