Skip to main content

Reply to "Did anyone notice on Bobby Flay's Throwdown about Ribs.....?"

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Yeah, saw that. I'd never heard of a NC spare either. Exactly what IS a partially trimmed spare, I thought it was St. Louis... LOL

No way those spares were tender in that time, I think someone was mis stating the times or method.

And Bobby Flay is an idiot (on purpose I'm sure) when he goes into a region and tries to change the flavors to something weird. If I want Asian ribs, I'll go to a chinese Restaurant. The judges always say... "I liked these xxxx, but they're not traditional, so I'll vote for the others"

A lot of the old time pit masters are more masters of self promotion than of cooking good 'Q. Ed can cook, but I guess he wants to claim that he invented NC ribs now too.

And Bobby Flay is original if nothing else. I love when he says something like "we're here in Manhattan at Gloria's Original Wedding Cake Factory and we're bringing it on with our wasabi, tuna, and chipolte wedding cake. Are you ready for a throwdown?" Oh yeah. Wasabi wedding cake. The world has been waiting for that.

Here's Ed Mitchell's place:
The Pit

The male judge on the show has a more traditional, less expensive, and probably better place. It's not fancy, but it's real good, and they are very nice folks. They will be on Man Vs. Food soon. It was filmed on May 20th.:
BBQ Pit

The kid kneeling in front would be a good prospect for a CS sales call. I've talked to him several times and I don't think he loves to tend the pit all night. When I told him there was a better way where he would smell better AND have time for girls, he seemed real excited.