Skip to main content

Reply to "Did anyone notice on Bobby Flay's Throwdown about Ribs.....?"

Raincreek, you might be right, but then again you might not be.

Mobile pig cookers around here get used in ways never imagined by their makers.

While not as hot as a true grill would usually be, they are still used as grills for steaks, burgers, etc anytime there's a bunch of people to feed. Great if you like baked meat. Frowner But they are also used to bake bread, pizza, quiche. Pretty much used more as a mobile oven/grill than a smoker.

It's not uncommon for gas fired "smokers" to have a charcoal tray just to allow for grill use, but it's also not uncommon to see the charcoal tray filled with water and several bushels of oysters thrown on the "smoker" to steam.

Really I have no idea if he smoked them or not, even though I remember the segment you mention. I'm just saying that he could have been using his smoker as a grill. I'll try and get over there in the next few days and sample first hand then get back to you'all.

Also, I kept putting the word smoker in quotes because a pig cooker as built by most in NC is not a smoker. Hogs usually get cooked at about 300-350* in the traditional (not saying correct) NC manner. Not much smoke usually.

Here's a pic showing more smoke than usual for a gas cooker. This guy uses a chip pouch to get this much bark, but still way short of a CS type smoke.