Skip to main content

Reply to "Does anyone else have metal issues with the Cookshack?"

I bought mine in April 2012.  No problems.  Now, about the rust or corrosion. No matter how well I wrapped the lid to the woodbox on this smoker and on my Smokin-it, and no matter how well I lined the bottom of the smoker with foil and made sure it went up the sides, I always had great/drippings migrate beneath the foil.  Some of the seasonings used in smoking can be rather corrosive for lack of a better term.  Acidic?  Sure. And combined with heat, and over time, they can etch metal, even stainless steel. However, I have not experienced any of that. Maybe it is in my future.

It is important to not confuse a great smoking patina with rust. Also, it is possible that the area that rusted could be a weld.  Why?  I don't know.  Just a possibility.  As for the wood box, let me ask the big question:  do you get charcoal after a smoke or pure ash?  Charcoal is indicative of no combustion.  Ash means the wood caught fire. Fire is nothing more than oxidation, same as rust, but with a lot of heat. Combine that with whatever drips on or gets under the foil and you can expect deterioration.

And to you last question: No, you are doing nothing wrong.  Just realize nothing lasts forever and that is why spare parts are available.