Skip to main content

Reply to "drip pans and grease disposal"

Here's something my mother taught me when I was a teenager and trying to fry the family up some chicken. Well the chicken came out just fine. Now it's time for cleanup. She saw me about to drain the cooled grease from the chicken fry down the drain and stopped me immediately.
So here is what she taught me to do. To combat the possible clogged drain due to grease buildup, put some dish washing liquid in the pot or pan or whatever the grease is in, ensure the sink's hot water faucet is up to temp, and then douse the pan with the hot water in order to break up the grease. I swish the water around a few times or I use the kitchen sprayer thingy which works best in ensuring the dish liquid is well dispersed into the grease. Then I turn on the garbage disposal with the hot water still running and slowly pour the water/soap/grease mixture down the drain. I keep the hot water running for about 30 seconds. I usually do it in two steps, since some grease is still in the pan that hasn't been broke down by the dish liquid. Works for me and no clogged drains have occurred.