Skip to main content

Reply to "Dry aging?"

You can do a bunch of research on that topic. Based on what I know, it is best done in a controlled atmosphere where humidity and temperature are held at an optimum setting. You can actually just let it age a day or two in the fridge unwrapped or wrapped in a towel. That said, I have prepared awesome Prime Rib (as good as any restaurants where I have been served PR) after letting it sit only 24 hours in my fridge and it probably would have came out the same had I not let it sit. I don't know, it is just a habit. I get my PR at COSTCO it is choice and has most likely been aged prior to packaging. One of COSTCO's roasts I will cut into 3 equal pieces which are probably 5-7 lbs each. Last month I paid $95 for one, yesterday the same roast was $75. But that is three good meals, with leftovers. What I will do is Vaccuum pack it at home. Then when I am ready to cook one I will take it out of the freezer and let it thaw then unwrap it and let it sit for one day in fridge prior to rubbing it down. then let it sit another day with the rub before I place it in the oven or smoker. And, it comes out perfect every time. Use the temperature probe. So is it the aging I do or the aging the processor does....beats me. All I know is it works. And my PR is always moist enough with lots of flavor.
Just so you know, a refrigerator is a dehydrator which pulls moisture out of the air. Notice that your ice cubes will shrink with time. So that sums it up. But I guess that assists in the aging process though.