Skip to main content

Reply to "Dry aging?"

smokinokie,
thanks for that link. i searched high and low for my 1954 USDA butchering manual but can't find it anywhere Mad
at any rate i remebered something in the back of my mind which was jogged by joesph's post and that was airflow!!!!! the 80-85% humidity however i remembered (go figure)
what is amazing though is the required velocity of airflow at .5 to 2.5 meters per second that is required to successfully age the beef without excessive product drying and subsequent waste and that that airflow is the one variable as time and temp are the constants. so we have an art component added to a straight forward method (oh how i do love the technical end of any process). now this is where it really got interesting to me and that is the air exchange rate per hour. on the low end that is 1.8km/hr and the high end 9km/hr and that is one huge varible (and i thought cooking a brisket was tough!!!!!) so we truly have an artist at work here and partially explains why dry aged beef is so expensive as the person who is controlling the airflow certainly has to be a major labor cost. again thanks for the link!!!!
david,
glad you liked the link!! and if you need one more check mark under the don't do it consider this. as an acf certified chef under no circumstances would i ever attempt to dry age beef even using commercial restaurant equipment as even that is not sufficent to produce true dry aged beef. if you want to make a poor immitation of it then by all means try it out but my personal advice is;
1- the product will not be the same as even the lowest minimum time is 21 days to produce true dry aged beef and these recipes are calling for 3 to days.
2- make sure you have good health insurance cause i think that you will need it if you do try to make the real thing

but i do want to thank you david!!!!!!!!!!!!
this question was great because it really made me think and one of the things i thought about was angelo our neighborhood butcher when i was a kid and how he taught me to love meat Big Grin
jack