Skip to main content

Reply to "Enhancing Bark Flavor on PB and Brisket?"

I think maybe I picked up that you have an AQ from the profile,but it always helps to post what you are cooking on.

Like Randy,another fine cook,offered-CS brisket rub has won more championships that you can count.Pork might be slightly different in your tweaking.

One thing you mentioned is some good cooks will add some rub later in the cook.Also,rubs should be fresh.

You mention "liberal " use of rub.What do you consider liberal?Many pork cooks feel pork needs salt to drive flavor and in the South they like some sweet.
Most of our good judges on here will suggest that winning entries usually have some sweet up front and just a little late heat to follow.Do you inject,as it is difficult to get any flavors deep into big meats.

Most cooks feel that the CS traditional cookers are already too moist to benefit from mopping,altho some may spray at the mid point of the cook-if they rotate,or flip the big meats.

Long cooks may break down any fresh herbs/delicate spices ,but shouldn't hurt most others.You cook longer than I do,but that's just me.

Foil is used not just for speed,but to add another flavor "layer/profile".Many good cooks will work this into their technique.Some may finish cooking with foil containing flavors and others may add some flavorful liquid to foil and cambro the big meats for a couple hrs.

What wood and how much are you using?

If you are cooking a comp,take some of your product to a couple cooks you respect and ask them what it needs.

Maybe this will start you thinking while the experienced cooks on here add some more good ideas.