Skip to main content

Reply to "Eye of round?"

I am kind of disappointed in this batch of Jerky. Part of this is my fault. I used the directions from Hi-Mountain to mix the seasonings and cure. This was so I could get a knowledge of the flavor profiles. I put the seasoned meats into separate zip lock bags, and back into the fridge. I shook them all up several times during the 48 hours I let them sit. I started the SM066 with 2 chunks of Hickory, and while it was going through the start up process, got the meat on my jerky rods. I set the smoker temp for 225 degrees, and put the rods in the top slot of the side racks. I left the door cracked about an inch for the first hour, and then closed it for an hour, opened it for an hour and closed it for the final hour. All of the flavors except the cracked pepper had very little flavor, and picked up very little smoke. The jerky turned out just a little dryer than I like it. I will do this again, but this time I will add more of the seasoning, and keep the cure at the same amount. I will also keep the smoker door closed except to dump moisture. Anyway, here is the picture

Attachments

Images (1)
  • jerky_3