Skip to main content

Reply to "Eye of round?"

Mike, your jerky looks great.

Tis the season to start thinking about all things jerky. Beef has gotten so expensive, that I’ve hardly had a hamburger lately, let alone jerky. I’ve got to say that although it’s been a while since I’ve made a batch, my favorite cut was knuckle roast. I used to buy whole peeled knuckle roasts that were bugolgi sliced 1/8th inch thin. It was the best thing ever for jerky. I’d leave the slices whole, dry cure them with Hi Mountain, leave them in the fridge for 3 days then smoke them at 170ish until dry on the FEC 100. The FECs are dryer environments than electrics and therefore really good for jerky.

Amazing results. Did over 500 pounds raw between 2010 and 2012 and sold most of it for 20.00/pp. I more than paid for the smoker doing this along with the bacon and all other goodies. There were some pockets of fat in the knuckle roasts, but I just left it all on there and snipped it off with scissors after it was finished. Best stuff ever.

I’ve already got my tree stand and feeder set up, so hope to have some venison this season for snack stix and jerky. Also, not that I’ve got a good 12-inch slicer, I can slice my own roast just like I like em. Now that my son is in college, he wants me to send him jerky to sell to the other kids. he's quite a business man.

Here’s some pics of the jerky some time ago.