Skip to main content

Reply to "Fast Eddy PG 500 vs MAK or Rec Tec"

De,

Thanks for your detailed response.  Sounds like your FEPG has lived up to your expectations & has been reliable.  Having not seen one in person & relying on internet reviews is less than ideal.  Your response is reassuring.  I was surprised that the dealer I called was relatively luke warm about the product (which he does carry) & was pushing Traeger (a brand for which I’ve come across rather mediocre reviews).  

I have no experience with smoking, but love pulled pork,  ribs and brisket and given the fact that I’m now retired, thought I’d enjoy doing some smoking (especially if a pellet grill makes the process relatively easy). However, this grill is to replace our old Weber gas grill, which is on its last legs, and I’d like to be able to grill burgers, chicken, steaks and kabobs, etc efficiently and deliciously.  

It most likely would be used significantly more frequently as a grill than a smoker, and most frequently be used to prepare meals for two people, but there will be occasional need to cook for larger groups (ie when our 3 married kids are in town or when we have 2 or 3 couples over for dinner).  

If the FEPG controller can reliably maintain temps throughout a cook and provide good smoke flavor, and also effectively grill,  I think I can live without WiFi.  

Any comments on build quality or grilling capability.  All that stainless steel looks impressive in the videos—is it well built and designed?