Skip to main content

Reply to "Fat in brisket"

Rhonda A:  There is a big streak of fat between the point and the flat.  Do a google search for trimming a packer brisket.  Aaron Franklin does a good job of explaining this.   Aaron Franklin describing how he trims a brisket at Brisket Camp 2015 - YouTube .  Brisket is one of those "It's done when it's done" cuts of beef.  I use a leave in thermometer when I do brisket.  I set the alarm for 190 degrees.  When the alarm goes off I do a "toothpick" test.  This is basically sticking a skewer or toothpick into the brisket in several places.  When the toothpick goes into the meat and it feels like it is going into a stick of warm butter it is done.  it seems like all briskets are a little different and I have had briskets that passed the "toothpick" test at 190 degrees.  I had one that went all the way to 215 degrees before it passed the test.  When you get them right the brisket will actually wobble almost like jello.  Once the brisket is done I place them in a disposable aluminum pan and cover it with foil.  This all goes into a warm ice chest for 2 to 4 hours.  I always recommend reading the old 101's that Smokin Okie put together.  Brisket 101 is here:  Brisket 101 webpage .