Skip to main content

Reply to "Favorite Cole/Cold Slaw???"

For the past few years I've been making cole slaw with wasabi, the green Japanese horseradish paste that comes in a tube. Here are the ingredients:

1 bag angel hair shredded cabbage
Mayonnaise
White wine vinegar
Celery seed (about 1 teaspoon)
Wasabi paste
Sugar (about 1 teaspoon)

You can get bags of angel hair shredded cabbage in the produce section where they have the bags of lettuce. Dump the shredded cabbage in a bowl. Add the mayo a spoon at a time and mix until the cabbage starts glomming together, then cut it with the white vinegar, a little at a time, until you get the smooth creamy consistency you like without it being runny. You might need to add a little more mayo and/or a little more vinegar and play with it until you get what you want. Add a teaspoon of celery seed, a teaspoon or so of sugar, then squeeze in a couple of inches worth of the wasabi paste. Mix everything well, and taste. Adjust the celery seed, sugar, and wasabi as suits your taste. I like it hot, so I always add more wasabi.

This goes great on a pulled pork sandwich. Heck, it goes great on just about any BBQ sandwich. It goes great with sushi and sashimi, and all by itself, too. I like it when the spice of the wasabi clears out my sinuses. Eeker Big Grin