Skip to main content

FEC120 Jerky

I took a stab at some beef jerky last weekend and I am so dang impressed with the outcome. It was so easy following the HI MOUNTAIN directions.

I took a 7 pound Eye of Round and cleaned it up removing all of the fat and silver skin. When I was finished I had a perfect looking clean roast. I cut it in half accross the grain and placed them in a freezer bag. I froze them for about 4 hours. Pulled them out and used my meat slicer set at 6 which seemed to be about 1/8" thick. I cut with the grain long ways. And then cut those in half. I ended up with strips about 1.5"-2" wide. I applied the cure from Hi Mountain to both sides of the meat. I used the garlic pepper cure for half and Chile lime spice for the other half. I only used about 1/3 of each cure package. Cured for 24 hours turning every 8 or so hours. Into the FEC120 using MHC competition blend pellets. Set to 180 degrees and checked after 2 hours. Let them smoke for an additional 2 more hours for a total of 4 hours. Jerky was perfect. My 7 pound roast yielded 2 pounds of Jerky. I didn't take any pictures. I will definetly do it again. I will try the low sodium products next. And Teriyaki is next as well.

I ordered some 23" x 3/16" Stainless Steel jerky rods from TRINITY METAL SALES for the FEC120. I got them for $35 shipped and ordered 10 of them. For the 7 pound roast I only used 4 rods.
Original Post