Skip to main content

Reply to "First Prime Rib..."

OK. This will take awhile to type cause I had my rotator cuff surgery just over a week ago.

I bought a 5 lb. prime rib, choice cut, at Sam's club for $5.95/lb. Seasoned it overnight with the following:

2 TB kosher salt
2 TB garlic
2 TB pepper
1 TB rosemary

Pulled from refrigerator and let rest for 1 hr. Preheated smoker for 35 mins. with 4 oz hickory at 225* Placed meat (39*) in smoker until temp hit 111* (4 hrs). Placed PR in 400* preheated oven, turned oven off. Removed PR from oven after 23 minutes (126*). Doubled foiled, wrapped in towel, and let sit in the oven(cooled down but still warm). Did the foil and oven thing cause we were still finishing the caeser salad, asparagus, baked potato, and garlic bread. Glass of Merlot.

After 45 min., removed from oven(138*), sliced and served. Absolutely, incredibly delicious. Medium rare, great smoke flavor, tender, moist, melt in your mouth. Better than another of my favorite restaurants. Because of the shoulder my wife did the fixins and my friend did the heavy lifting (the meat). He didn't complain. Only change next time--place PR in a 550* preheated oven to get a little more crust.

This Cookshack thing gets in your blood. Happily, it's becoming a hobby. Thought it would be an expense, but find myself smokin in the yard more and eating out less often. Could this actually save me money?

Next attempt. Pick up a Papa Murphy's sausage pizza and cook in "the elite" with no wood. Cool