Skip to main content

Reply to "First Try at a Chuckie - Pretty Disastrous."

Andy - thanks for the reply. After I read it, I decided to ditch the 2nd part of the chuckies method and go with your suggestion. I had a red pepper that I sliced up, with a mix of sliced red and vidalia onions, and put the whole roast on top. I didn't have any stout (I'm not a fan of sweet beer), so I used a bottle of dark lager and foiled the pan. I allotted 3  hours at 350 before checking, and it was ready to be pulled. (Yes, I do have a set of meat rakes, more like bear claws really - they work great.) During pulling I separated out about 4 large pieces of fat, then put the meat back in the jus, which by then had absorbed the peppers and onions to a great moist glaze, then back in a 200 oven to wait for a corn and jalapeno salad and roasted okra from our garden. (Sorry no pics.) I put some grated pepper jack cheese on top of the meat (no bun) and it was fantastic! I (we) thank you very much for helping me to rescue our first chuckie. I heard "I like this much better than brisket." Sigh... OK.

I forgot to mention that originally on the chuck roast, I used Smokin' Guns BBQ rub that I got from Cal in the 2017 BBQ exchange (I miss those). Maybe heresy to use it on pot roast instead of brisket?

Thanks again!

Last edited by jay1924