Skip to main content

Reply to "Greek Rub"

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Bingo. Perfect Vicki.

I told Smokin in a personal message with my rub/sauce exchange to use olive oil and the rub. But a true Greek would add the lemon.

Also, shared this personal memory with him. When I was a toddler, my grandfather would on special occasions grill up a juicy steak...olive oil, Greek spices, lemon juice in that order, then grill. My brother and I would sit at the table and watch him cook and eat his delicacy...and then we'd get an occasional morsel. Delicious. I think Pa used to look forward to the sharing as much as we did.

My wife is Greek, I am not. When I had to make the first obligatory trip to "meet the family" we were still in college. When we drove up I noticed smoke from the back yard and thought great a BBQ, these people can't be all bad. When I arrived at the grill, and the lid was lifted, there was a 10 pound octopus smoking away. My first thought was that my car is blocked in the drive way. Trust me I have grown to love and enjoy Greek food over the 30 plus years, but no amount of Greek rub would have saved that day.